If you’ve been on the fence about hiring a Doula, how do you know if they’re right for your birth team? A doula could be right for you if:
- You’d like to prepare for Your Best Birth – regardless of whether you would like a home water birth or a planned caesarean, doulas can help you find options, information and resources that make your Birth Day experience the best it can be.
- You’d like to reduce interventions in labour – Doulas have been shown to decrease the need for pain relief and other interventions, including a 28% decrease in risk of caesarean.
- You’d like experienced support through the unknown of labour – Doulas are experienced in providing non-medical support and skills that help to keep you on track with your Plan A. Yet if you need to change focus to Plan B, or even Plan C, they are skilled at helping you through the emotional transition to the next phase, while still making it Your Best Birth experience.
- You’d like your partner to feel confident and be supported during labour – Doulas also help prepare your partner and other birth support to become familiar with what you need in labour. A doula will also be their support on Birth Day, so that you don’t have to worry about them.
- You’d like to know a bit more about your options and your rights to informed choice – Doulas are fantastic at providing more in depth information via comprehensive prenatal sessions and resources so that you can make the best decision for you and your baby.
- Whatever you decide, you’d like to be fully supported – Experienced doulas do not give opinions or influence your decisions. They provide you with information so that you can make an informed decision about you and your baby. And then go on to become an integral part of your cheerleading squad!
- You’d like a “Tour Guide” through the overwhelming information and opinions – Doulas are experts in helping you find the resources you need for you. Whether it’s local, online or in books – chances are your Doula will know exactly where it is and how you can access it.
- You’d like a smooth transition into parenthood – Doulas have been shown to not only increase satisfaction with the birth experience, but they also have long term positive effects on bonding and breastfeeding baby. Post Partum Doulas provide in-home visits and can become part of your support team during those challenging first few months.
If you’d like to know more about how a doula can help you in your journey to meeting your baby, why not contact us for a chat? We provide free "Meet and Greets" to help you find the perfect doula for your birth team.
Article has been originally published in PakMag magazine. Visit their website to check out the latest magazine edition online.
For More Research About Doulas:
About our Doulas: